Monday 25 July 2016

This Girl Can Ambassador - Susie

Since we last spoke to our This Girl Can ambassador Susie, she has not only been working on her RFU level 1 coaching qualification but also gaining her next grading in Taekwondo. Susie took the time to share with us what she has been up to over the last couple of months.


"May was a really busy month.  I have completed and been declared 'competent' on my RFU Level 1 coaching course.  This entailed running; running a lot.  Three full days of classroom and practical, comprising all kinds of information on child safety, physical ability, safeguarding, key factors of rugby and mainly how to keep them engaged and make it fun.  Then we ran some more, and some more and some more.  I don't think I have run as much ever!  

I had forgotten how much fun it is to play team sports like this and to be part of a team.  I absolutely loved it.  There was a really supportive atmosphere as we all took it it turns to coach the rest of the group.  Rugby netball, touch rugby and lots more besides.  And I felt SOOOOOO proud of myself. 

I have started a little tag rugby club at my son's school and I have managed to get at least one person to want to take up rugby in September, OK it was a boy, but it's a start.   

On the Taekwondo side I took a grading and passed.  So now I am a 6th Kup, only 6 more to black belt.  I might get there one day.  I was so proud of myself.  When I started I aimed for green belt and now I'm here, and I am going on to the next level.  I have set myself a target of 6 months to pass the next grading.  Fingers crossed.  I know my pattern already I just need to get a bit fitter, and learn how to break boards!  Ouch.  


My daughter also passed her grading and is keeping ahead of me on a 5th Kup, but not for long!  She is very flexible and will make black belt with ease.  She is also pretty scary in sparring and beats boys twice her size.  They soon learn to try and defend themselves when she starts to kick!  Some don't want to fight a girl, but she wants to fight the boys!"  

If you would like to have your female sessions promoted or would like to help inspire more women to get inspired by #ThisGirlCan email us. Remember if you are getting active - tweet @SportHIOW a picture including #ThisGirlCan

No comments:

Post a Comment